This month’s websites are a hodgepodge (as if other months’ were not). I simply found sites that I thought had good or helpful information on a variety of topics. There is no real method or theme for this collection.
First of all, I wanted more information this month on economic topics, such as recessions and depressions. On those subjects, I recommend the following articles:
- How Recessions Work
- Recession? Depression? What’s the difference?
- Your 2009 Recession Survival Guide
Then I decided I wanted more information on what sort of help is out there for people who are struggling for one reason or another. (Gee, I wish I had had this thought some time back – I found a lot of helpful information. I think I was too depressed to go looking for it at the time.)
- www.virginia.gov – Ok, this is my state, so that’s where I started. I had no idea some of these services existed. There are sections on the site for citizens, students, and employees. Under citizens, there is a section for community services. My guess is that many if not all states have something along these lines. These include:
- 2-1-1 VIRGINIA: provides easy access to information and referrals on child care, energy assistance, financial assistance and more.
- Child care database: you can search for licensed day care in your area.
- Virginia Communities – a database of local resources.
- For Minnasoteans (?), Minnasotahelp.info seems to have a wealth of information and resources listed or linked.
While looking the above mentioned sites up, I found sites that were odd, really amusing, or just caught my eye. I’ve included a sampling for kicks and giggles…
- Callinsick – well, the name really says it all. From the site: “Sick notes – provided. Fake prescriptions – provided. Tutorials for faking sick – provided!” 🙂
- Sickday Excuse Generator – well, once I saw the first one, I decided to see what else was out there! Good for a laugh!
- Economic Assistance For Struggling Families Varies Widely
- I Work With Fools – well, I don’t personally work with fools at the moment, but I certainly HAVE. It looks like this site is no longer being updated, but it is entertaining nonetheless.